Thursday, November 14, 2013

Values



Religion
I have Christian religious beliefs.  I grew up in a Baptist church.  Particularly as a little girl, church was one of the most important aspects of my life.  My family and I attended church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night.  We were always very plugged in to our church and involved in all activities.  Many of my close childhood friendships were established in church and Sunday school.  Prayers were always said before meals and at bedtime, and discussions about religion, beliefs, and God have never been uncommon.  

Morals
I like to think that I have a high moral compass.  I distinctly remember being taught lessons, some intentionally, and some as a result of circumstances, about behaving in right and decent ways.  I grew up hearing many of the known phrases like “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all,” “kill them with kindness,” and “be kind to your neighbor.”  My parents were sure to have discussions about honesty and fairness.  I try to live my life as an example and as a product of the way I was taught because the lessons I learned as a child are what I have known as “right” for all of my life.  

Work Ethic Beliefs
A hard work ethic is something I truly believe in and an idea that was instilled in me.  My parents taught me that people don’t receive things in life unless they work for them.  This lesson started as a child, as I had a few chores to complete around the house.  I was always responsible for cleaning my own room, making my bed daily, and trying my best on all schoolwork.  Although I didn’t always love learning that hard work ethic as a child, it’s something I’m especially grateful for today.  In fact, a hard work ethic is an idea I strive to instill in my students, and I know I will one day stress to children of my own.  

Beliefs on Education
Having an education and valuing education was one of the very most important ideas my parents taught me.  Although I was involved in many extracurricular activities, it was always clear that school came before anything else.  Homework was completed as soon as I got home from school, and in elementary school, my mom would check over the work I completed. As I moved into middle and high school and assumed the responsibility of those things, my parents would still ensure that my work was done.  They also made certain that I had sufficiently studied for tests.  When asked, they would quiz me over the material I had learned or provide assistance in any way that they could.  The standards were quite high in my house for education, in terms of grades and effort, but I’m aware that I owe much of my accomplishments to my parents confirming I was only doing my best.  My parents also made certain that I could attend college without the burden of those finances.  They underwent sacrifices of their own so that my time at school could be about receiving an education.  As a graduate student, although I’m now financially independent, my parents fully support my goal of continuing my education.  

As a teacher, I clearly hold education in the highest of regards.  I believe that every child and adult should work hard to gain an education for themselves.  I teach the importance of an education to my students, and I explain to them why an education is beneficial to them now and in their futures.  Education is the root for all things, in my opinion, and I want the best for all of my students.  I hope by holding high educational standards, and working to instill a love of learning and urgency for education, my students will develop a desire to always work towards their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment