Thursday, November 14, 2013

Assumptions & Stereotypes



I have grown up in a white, middle-class, suburban family.  The majority of the people that I went to school with had a similar culture, and I didn’t have to look far to find peers similar to myself.  I wouldn’t argue that my family meets the middle-class stereotypes fairly easily.  Living comfortably was never an issue.  My family was able to indulge in nice or expensive things when we wanted to, but that wasn’t always the norm.  

My family has also lived in Georgia as far back as I could trace my family tree.  It’s a family assumption in my family that the children will continue to live in Georgia and close to one another.  Because we all live close in proximity, it joins us together in many other ways that the family undoubtedly wants to continue.  Moving far away is an option that is never greatly entertained by family members. 

No comments:

Post a Comment